10. Controller does not pursue self-improvement by attending classes, reading periodicals in their field.
9. Doesn’t care anything about learning the Industry they are working in.
8. Lacks the vision to implement improvements in accounting systems, processes and procedures.
7. Fails to develop or mentor staff and often feels threatened by subordinates.
5. Fails to grasp the importance of Fast Closes and producing Financial Statements on a timely basis as defined by management.
4. Always puts personal needs ahead of company’s needs.
3. Does not ask questions or seek support from their system’s software vendor and outside accounting firm.
2. Is seen as ‘in over their head’.
And NUMBER ONE REASON CONTROLLERS GET FIRED: The CEO, CFO or Ownership of the company does not trust and/or respect them. (The reason is immaterial).